Wednesday 8 April 2015

Life on the other side – Hostel & Camping Inimi


Ever since I first read about the iron ore train between Noaudhibou and Choum I got the dream of one day riding it, and I finally did one day in January 2010, the ride was enchanting and the adventure enormous.

However after the 12 hour train ride in an iron ore car and the additonal 3 hours on the back of a pickup truck on bad dirt roads, my body was tired and aching and I was exhausted when finally reaching Atar in the morning.

Fortunatelly a man named Abdul, who spoke decent English, turned up and suggested that I would become a guest at his camping which also was a hostel.

At the camping I was well recieved by Nemoud, the owner of hostel Inimi, who offered me traditional Mauritanian tea in the tent in the front yard and he also pulled out different maps of the surrounding region where he showed different places that would be worth seeing and that he recommended to visit.

Abdul is the man who knows everyone and can fix and organise things according to your own wishes, he is like a little elf who claps his hands and things appear.
He took me to several rural areas around Atar and also visited traditional nomad families living in the surrounding areas in the desert and keeping their goat herds.

As the photo buff that I am, I managed to capture some great photos during his tour and also see some amazing landscapes of the beautiful Adrar region with its mountains.

Back at Hostel Inimi, I had the choice between sleeping in the tent or take a room that was equipped with a mosquito net, and considering the season I decided to go for a room with a net as I thought that was the best choice for me.

What really blew me away with this hostel is that it is very well maintained, the shower, the toilet as well as the kitchen room are very clean comparing to what I have seen during my trip through Mauritania. Even the room are very well maintained and clean.

The cook at the hostel, Sid'ahmed, is a man who knows how to cook good food and also prepares it after your own likings and wishes. he is always smiling and also makes sure that you eat more so you will not be leaving the table hungry.

My stay at Hostel Inimi was nice and very relaxing with the Sahara right around the corner it is also possible to walk out into your own tranquility for a while.
I do recommend every one travelling to Atar, be it by bus or by the train ride from Nouadhibou, to check in to Hostel Inimi for relaxation and to be cared for according to Mauritanian hospitality, as you get information about the area and what it has to offer to you as a traveller.

What is also great is that even if you are travelling by your own car, there is space as Inimi also have a camping with its big front yard where you can put up your own tent if that is what you prefer.

Pricewise, and the value you get for your money, at hostel inimi is probably the best I ever had during my stay in Mauritania.

Best wishes and regards from a happy traveller

Clabbe Bjurstrom
Stockholm, Sweden